In a message dated 9/2/2005 11:27:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Think of it more this way...

If you heat water toward boiling point, you will get hot water, but if
you heat it hotter than boiling point, you will get gas (steam).  Water
can only accept so much heat before it vaporizes.

A battery can only accept so much energy before its physical properties
also begin to change for the worse.  A lead acid battery will boil off
its electrolite.  A NiCad will overheat, expand, explode.  A LiIon will
suddenly ignite.  The chemistry is affected by charge state.  Push it
past a certain point, and its composition changes in an undesirable way.
============
Hmmm, I leave the charger on my Canon batteries on a long time. For hours,
usually longer than it takes to actually charge them. Go away, busy, etc.

I THINK the charger shuts off when the battery is full. It appears to. But
maybe I should double-check this. I do the same thing actually, with everything
I charge. Cell phone battery, PDA battery, etc. Leave it there over night
sometimes.

However, in those situations the charger is battery specific, designed for
that specific battery. And they all appear to shut off.

But even so I may be losing some battery power, huh? Maybe they overcharge a
tiny little bit each time. This needs more thought.

Marnie   Or more helpful people with answers.