If we want to gripe about buttons, Ok I'll bite here. Yes the four way switch on the D is a week point. It takes a bit of getting used to, and while the AE lock and Exposure compensation buttons are well positioned I find both a bit hard to use when the camera is in shooting position. There have been a number of times when I've been in hyper program and tried to use exposure compensation been furiously spinning the front wheel with the +/- button not quite all the way down...

Fred wrote:

I'm convinced the OK button doesn't work.

Very possibly.

However, on my new DS, I have found that the entire 4-way switch assembly
is not exactly the finest design in user-interface engineering.  For both
the left-right-up-down functioning and the OK functioning, pressing the
button (or the appropriate edge of the 4-way switch) does ~not~ always
result in the intended action.  I have found that I have to be a little
more deliberate.

In the case of the OK button, for example, I have found that pressing the
OK button with the flesh of my fingertip (even if I always feel the soft
"ka-plunk", as the button more-or-less hits bottom) does ~not~ always
result in the OK action being "heard" by the camera's circuitry.  However,
I have found that, if I poke the OK button and press it down with my
fingernail, I always have success.

As I said, the implementation of the OK button and the 4-way "button"
leaves a little to be desired.  But, I am ~always~ successful with using
the OK button with my fingernail.  And, since I am never prevented from
doing what I want (even if I have to be a little careful in how I "say"
what I want done), and I content enough with how mine woks.

(By the way, I have a TV remote that works about like this - I can press
the buttons down until they seem to bottom out ("ka-plunk"), but I don't
always get the channel to change or the volume to change, etc. - I have to
push the buttons just a little harder to make certain that they actually
complete their corner of the circuit.)  (And, I've seen some computer
keyboards that are not unlike this, especially the really "soft touch"
ones...)

I am curious - do any other DS users notice any "tackiness" in these
controls?  And, how about the *ist D?

Fred

--
When you're worried or in doubt, Run in circles, (scream and shout).