The reverse adapter has a K-mount on one side, and a filter thread on the other side, so you can attach the adapter to the front of the lens, and then carefully attach the lens and adapter to the camera. Lens settings are completely manual, since the lens mount is not connected to the camera, although you can use aperture priority if you like. Normal TTL metering will work. It's an inexpensive way to get high magnification, and you can use a few different lenses. The adapters come in 49mm size as well as 52mm.

With this type of setup, there's no focusing. You move the camera back and forth until the subject is in focus. You can get slightly different magnification depending on whether the lens is set at minimum focus or at infinity. You can get more magnification by adding a filter (UV or Skylight, for example) between the lens and the adapter. The 50mm lens will enable full-frame photos of quite small objects, and a 28mm lens will enable full-frame photos of really small objects. By "quite small" and "really small" I'm referring to stamp- and coin-sized objects.

One cool thing about it is that you can leave the adapter in your camera bag for unexpected macrophoto opportunities. "What kind of bug is that?" "Just a minute, I'll pop on my reverse adapter and take a picture of it!"

Pat White