On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, mike wilson wrote:

close to where Brandt presumably was with the camera. The the fall-off and
vignetting would then mimic how your eyes would have seen the real thing.
I also suspect this is not an effect you could duplicate easily with a
600mm lens?

The Pentax 600/4 has noticeable falloff, wide open.

No, I meant working in combination with the perspective of the picture. Presumably if he's close with a 6x7 he's shooting with something in the 'standard lens' sort of focal length? The falloff shown in some of those pictures is obviously done post-processing, but then when combined with a standard lens perspective and shown at effectively life-size, you'd in some ways mimic the feeling of reality? In contrast, a picture taken standing XXX metres away with a 600mm lens you wouldn't have the same effect because of compression? You'd just end up with what some here might already have called a nice picture ruined by softening and falloff :-)

Of course that could be utter bollox (tm). Personally, standing anything like that close to a cow elephant with her calf and firing a 6x7... no thanks!

Chris