Thanks much to everybody who commented!

Shel, thanks for noting that the picture didn't necessarily have to
show passion. In fact, I regret having used "kiss" as the subject
line. It might have biased people's expectations. That's precisely why
I always use "<place>, <year>" as the only title to my pics.

Bob, thanks for the credit. Yes, I reacted to something, but that
something was actually a loving kiss (they were both smiling and
looking at each other lovingly.) I really didn't expect to get an odd
or uncomfortable moment captured. In any case, that's part of what
street photography is about--being surprised by the results sometimes.

I had a similar result from a pic I took in Budapest this year:

http://photoblog.jbuhler.com/index.php?showimage=214

I did see his expression, but actually it's nothing like what his
general demeanor was. He seemed to be very happy with the girl.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments and happy new year for all.