Inspired by the thread about focusing screens, last night I went ahead
and took the screen out of my second MX (which needs a CLA anyway)

The resulting viewfinder is a little bit darker than it was with the
original screen, but the split prism makes it much easier to focus in
low light, and focus seems to be spot on. I can't believe I didn't do
this before!

Some details and pictures here:

http://jbuhler.com/blog/index.php?p=260

There were absolutely no issues wtith thickness BTW. The two screens
seem to be about the same, and the spring in the istD doesn't seem
like it's loaded differently from what it was.

I now need to get one of those new bright LX screens...

(thanks Cory and others for those posts!)

Juan Buhler
http://www.jbuhler.com
photoblog at http://photoblog.jbuhler.com