I have a wacom Intuos 3 and have recently used the graphire 3 model.
While both are good products I do not regret shelling out the extra
cash for the intuos. The tactile feel of the intuos is so much better.
Its the little stuff like the weight and balance of the pen the
friction on the active area etc.. that make the difference.  Also the
intuos has the touch strips / keys that I find very useful.

The intuos I have is the 6x11 (a5 wide) but that's only because I use
a dual screen setup.  the standard a5 one is the one I would reccomend
on a single screen system.  I would not reccomend going for bigger
than a5 size because:

1. Normal operations with the pen (such as using winddows apps) will
require big sweeping arm movements.  This is because the tablet maps
to the screen area. This means that the top left corner of the tablet
maps to the top left corner of your screen.

2. The a4 takes up huge amounts of desk space.  Even my a5 wide is a
bit on the big side.

3. You will find that a5 is the most popular size for use with PS.

Hope this helps feel free to e-mail me if you have specific questions.

Regards

Patrick