Tim,

I think you are pretty much spot-on with the advantages and disadvantages of Novoflex lenses, and I was surprised at the rather negative response your question to the list generated.

Of course an FA* 600mm lens will be better, but it's also a million times more expensive. For an inexpensive route into bird photography, which is what you wanted, I believe a Novoflex system still takes a lot of beating, especially as using it on a DSLR will mean that the unsharp edges are largely removed.

Bear in mind, too, that Pentax DSLR AF performance with long lenses has been criticised. How nice to avoid the problem altogether.

The fact that the lens doesn't communicate with the body is also something of a non-issue. These are quite slow lenses, and you will want to use them wide-open. Av mode will work perfectly.

I too would be very interested to hear of users' experiences.

John