On Mar 15, 2006, at 10:38 AM, Kostas Kavoussanakis wrote:

Ah, the joys of Canonware :-P

What does Canon have to do with the design of the FA31? I have several Canon lenses and have not found any flare problems with the correct Canon hoods fitted, using them on the 10D.

although it shows up quite visibly in the image file. Shading the lens with my hand, if I'd seen it was flaring like that, would have solved this particular problem.

This is on the right-hand side, where the shutter release also is. Timer? Remote release?

Yes, it can be hard to do it...

The Kalt 1" deep metal lens hoods that I use on other lenses in this focal length range won't fit the FA31 due to the fixed hood being in the way.

I have the Soligor 100/2 which features a built-in hood. Even though retractable, it is still a pain (caps being the main problem). And it's short. Bad idea, if you ask me...

I fit a Nikon HN-7 hood to the FA135/2.8 IF because the built in hood is, to my mind, mostly useless (on the far left):
  http://homepage.mac.com/godders/lenshood-lineup-1845.jpg

Godfrey