> From: Bob Shell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2006/03/21 Tue AM 11:47:36 GMT
> To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
> Subject: Re: OT Re: Arthritis Stuff
>

> On Mar 21, 2006, at 4:12 AM, mike wilson wrote:
>
> >> You can make a pretty passable substitute for potato salad from
> >> jicama.  They're readily available in many grocery stores and can be
> >> eaten raw or cooked.  I had "potato salad" in Puerto Rico that was
> >> darned close to the real thing, just the chunks of jicama were
> >> crisper than cooked potato.  Jicama is not a member of the nightshade
> >> family.
> >>
> >> Bob
> >
> > That's new to me.  I don't get to PR very often 8-)  Does it have
> > any other names?
>

> Not that I am aware of.  Our local Kroger supermarket here in small
> town Virginia carries them, so I don't think they're particularly
> rare.  Ask the produce manager at your supermarket.  The J is
> pronounced like an H, BTW.
>
> Bob

"Low in starch and calories" - I like that.

Apparently it belongs to the same family as the morning glory, which will
explain the exhortations not to eat the seeds.  Not common even in the USA,
from what I can see.  Only available as seed over here. 8-(((

Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
Virus-checked using McAfee(R) Software