Cotty wrote on 30.03.06 10:26:

> Lemme see....
>
> <http://www.cottysnaps.com/snaps/nature/images/pic20.html>
>
> and
>
> <http://www.cottysnaps.com/snaps/nature/images/pic24.html>
>
> and
>
> <http://www.cottysnaps.com/snaps/nature/images/pic22.html>
>
> and
>
> <http://www.cottysnaps.com/snaps/nature/images/pic26.html>
Wow! I saw that before, and these are very nice shots! However I'm surprised
as I was almost sure that you used to have 100/2.8 USM macro? :-)

> All handheld. It really has to be used in conjunction with the ring-
> flash, which means you can stop down to f16 for best DOF, and an added
> bonus are two small lamps that come on at the touch of a button and stay
> on for 30 seconds to help focussing. It's easy to use at 1-2X, needs
> great care at 3-4X and very difficult at 5X. None of the above shots are
> past 3 or 4 X. Focus is achieved by resting the edge of the lens on a
> surface (say, with the spider on a wall) and literally rocking the lens
> in and out of focus. I use a battery pack with the flash as waiting for
> long recycling times would make it far too complicated to use. It
> certainly is an interesting lens - although useful only for objects that
> don't scare off easily!
With Pentax equipment similar results would be possible only with reverse
mount ring or with 50 macro lens + many extension tubes ;-) Neither of these
things is as convenient as your lens.

> It's no use for sensitive insects - a much
> longer focal length is necessary, around 180-200mm. That's why I was
> considering the Pentax A*200mm f4 macro. Canon do a 180mm 3.5 macro as
> well, but to be honest, as much as I enjoy macro, it's hard work!
That's one of the reasons why I wanted 200 macro. Added bonus for this focal
length in macro is also ease of using ordinary external flash as light
source. And with patended Pentax FREE feature it is good as ordinary
telephoto lens.
But macro is indeed hard work. Fortunately I can often count on my friend's
help - he is a very good and well known in Polish photo community macro
photographer. Here are some of his works:
http://www.plfoto.com/uzytkownik.php?authorid=1311

--
Balance is the ultimate good...

Best Regards