On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Tim Osleby wrote:

My next idea is to spend the night in the hide, and see how the birds
behave at sunrise. Getting up that early is against my nature, but
it is worth a try.

Tim, from many years ago I remember a bit of advice in a book by (I think,the British bird photographer Eric Hosking) that said something like two people should go to the hide and one should come away again. He said birds weren't stupid and if they saw you disappear in a hide they'd know you were still there even though they could no longer see you. Fortunately they can't count, so the person coming away fools them into thinking you have left.

Your suggestion of going in the dark might achieve the same effect?

Chris