Hi Collin: mine is the RMC version, and it is of course manual focus and manual aperture only, but works perfectly on everything I've tried from an ME up to the *ist-D. As I said, I have found the glass good enough, having used it mainly at f5.6-8: you may recall my PUG shot "Butterfly Dance" was shot with it, and the displayed image is a fairly heavily cropped one, looking at that photo may allow others to judge it's quality.

John Coyle
Brisbane, Australia
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 10:29 PM
Subject: Tokina 400/5.6 variations (Re: long lens for birds?)

         I've seen 3 varieties of this lens.
         The oldest of them is the RMC.
         Then came the SD
         Finally came AF and improved optics in the AT-X SD.

         Here's some general observations:
         The old RMC may be limited to the K/M mount.
         The SD can have "A", or not, but also has a Ricoh pin.
         Fortunately Tokina had the foresight to make it a "bump" so that
         it won't interfere with Pentax' AF coupling.
         The AT-X SD is where auto-focus comes in.  I've seen no manual
         focus AT-X SD in the 400/5.6.  (Someone correct me if that
         observation is in error.)

         The SD and AT-X SD are Very Good optically.
         The RMC is much cheaper and OK optically.
         Not bad, like old Soligor.
         But imo it's worth the extra few bucks to get the SD.

         Collin
         KC8TKA