From: "Russell Kerstetter"
Subject: Re: long lens for birds?

> The Tokina 400/5.6 in good condition goes for around $150 then?  Is
> this MF or AF?
>
> Also, about how much should I expect to pay for an A400/5.6?  And
> also, also.... for either of these lens' are there different versions
> that should not be purchased?

>Then WW said.

I can't help you on price, that seems really variable, depending on patience
and luck.
I seem able to buy something off ebay and then see three auctions in the
next month end for less than I paid.

Anyway, I have both an A400/5.6 and a Tokina SD 400/5.6 (it's a manual
focus, contemporaneous with the A400/5.6).

The Pentax is definitely the better lens, I recall the Tokina had a bit of
chromatic abberation, the Pentax is nice, with a very crisp image.
The CA doesn't seem to show up on film, or at least not as obviously, but
does show on the digital.

William Robb

David J Brooks
Equine, Pets, Bands, Rural Landscape Photography in York Region
www.caughtinmotion.com
Pentax istD, PZ-1, Nikon D1 D2H