Hi Jostein,

To help out with your statistics (and to pass some time) I thought I'd take
a shot at a response.

I've recently reevaluated my storage situation after deciding I'd like to
switch to shooting RAW primarily, and realising my 80gb notebook had run out
of space. I've had one 40gb notebook harddisk fail on me once- started
clicking and not long after I had to come to terms with losing more than a
few shots. I purchased an 80gb 2.5" with external enclosure (usb 2.0 +
firewire), and not long after a 80gb Vosonic X'S drive. I now also have a
Zoomextreme ZX8 3.5" enclosure (love this thing.. it's aluminium, got it's
own large fan and runs fast and quietly) with a 300gb drive inside, firewire
and usb2.0, can also be daisychained to other drives- I occasionally link
the 2.5" enclosure too.

With the firewire, the 300gb drive feels nearly as fast as a 'local' drive,
so storage and editing is pretty straightforward. I keep all originals (RAW
+ small jpg). I'm also going about backing up all photos to CD-Rs..
conventional ones, and I'm about halfway through. I still don't trust DVD-Rs
because of a few bad experiences, mainly concerning minor looking scratches
(judging by how you'd expect it to affect a CD-R) causing read problems.

The 80gb X'S drive I use for extra storage in the field, I'd feel more at
ease knowing my files are stored in a medium which doesn't bump in my bag
around too often.

I haven't really thought about the longevity of the access technology, but
as long as there are a couple of options to choose from at any time, e.g.
firewire or USB2.0, which are sufficiently fast for my purposes, I'm not too
worried.

Hmm.. software support for RAW.. quite happy with it at the moment. ACDSee
Pro doesn't seem to be as accurate or flexible with my RAW files, but, it's
still somewhat new in their software, so I trust they'll try to improve it.
PSCS2 does me alright- if anything, my computer's does things a bit too
slowly. I think if anything's going to be outdated soon, given me starting
to be a bit more demanding towards my resources- it's probably going to be
my computer's ability to cope with it all.

I'd recommend a good 3.5" drive or two- if you can afford it, why not have a
little farm of them. They're bang for buck, convenient, quick, and probably
will be relevant for a while. I suppose if you were really bored, you could
make a cd collection of it all too, just in case.. maybe even store it
somewhere else. CDs are cheap, and I'm pretty sure that if you really
wanted.. in 300 years you or someone like you could find some antique cd
reader on eBay..

Probably nothing new here, but hope it's useful somehow.

Cheers,
Ryan