On Jul 7, 2006, at 6:06 AM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> I'm not a fan of the "vertical or horizontal scrolling thumbnail list
> next to individual image display" concept, however.

FWIW I don't mind it, as long as it's not too distracting and doesn't
contain too many thumbnails.  I struggled a lot with this when I
wrote my gallery viewer, but I just couldn't make it work.  Vertical
was an instant no-go as my thumbnails vary widely in aspect ratio,
and I'm not really a fan of horizontal scrolling (it's even worse if
the viewer has to scroll the page down to reach the horizontal scroll
bar... too much mouse movement needed).

I decided in the end to keep the thumbnails entirely hidden until the
viewer clicks a link to make them visible.  I also added "Next" and
"Previous" links so the gallery can be viewed in the intended order,
without even looking at thumbnails (it's a pity I still haven't put
together any serious galleries yet).

I did experiment with an option to make the thumbnails remain on-
screen, but a browser-compatibility issue gave me enough trouble to
abandon the idea.  It's not really important to me as I find them
distracting, and they'd require scrolling.  I might have another go
at it some day, but turning off Javascript does the trick in the
meantime :)

- Dave