On Jul 19, 2006, at 10:19 AM, P. J. Alling wrote:
>>> Perhaps another reason that the DA Limiteds are being designed for
>>> compactness and quality rather than speed is that the DSLRs they are
>>> designed to work with produce so much cleaner results at ISO 400 to
>>> 1600 than the film SLRs that the prior series was designed to
>>> complement.
>>
>> That's an excellent point Godfrey.
>>
> A large part of a wider maximum aperture is easier focusing, whether
> autofocus or manual an F2 lens will lock a lot faster than an
> F3.5.  My
> SMC Takumar 35mm f3.5 gives excellent  results on film and digital but
> it's a PITA to achieve  precise focus, under anything other than the
> brightest lighting conditions.

While brightness is very helpful for focusing, I don't think I can
easily see a 0.3 to 1.0 stop difference in the viewfinder brightness
without comparing. Contrast at the focusing aperture is actually more
significant ... For instance, I found the A24/2.8 to be easier to
focus accurately than the A28/2.8 due to its higher contrast when
wide open, and the FA20-35/4 to be better than either for the same
reason, despite being 1 stop slower.

This is just as true for auto focus as it is for manual focus, btw.

> That probably is their reasoning. Still, fast lenses are important
> even when you're shooting stopped down (as I almost always do) because
> of the brighter viewfinder. Several times while doing pre-dawn
> photography I've switched from my 20/2.8 to a faster lens simply
> because I couldn't see how my shots were framed with the slow 2.8
> aperture.

I'm sorry, but I just can't believe that you cannot see how a shot is
framed with an f/2.8 maximum aperture vs an f/2 or f/1.8, Mark. What
lens faster than the 20/2.8 have you gone to with similar FoV?

My testing of the Sigma 20/1.8 showed it to have poorer wide-open
resolution and contrast than the Canon EF20/2.8. Neither were at
their best until f/4.5 or smaller (the Sigma caught up to the Canon
at about f/5.6). The Pentax FA20/2.8 is better than the Canon wide
open and proves sharper until f/5.6 from the short time I had
evaluating one.

Manually focusing *any* very short focal length lens like the 20mm or
14mm is challenging, and often times I find the AF system does a
little better than I do if I'm in a hurry. When I have the time to
work more slowly, the Pentax Magnifier FB 2x helps a lot for critical
work as does the Olympus VariMagni's 1.5-2.5x magnification. However,
the Katz Eye Optics screen I purchased significantly improves the
manual focusing 'tooth' over the standard Pentax screens in the DS so
that I find less need to use the optical magnification aids.

Godfrey