Adam, Paul,

There is evidence that flies right in the face of your statements.
Take 600mm f/5.6, for example (links below). This is a convenient
comparison because it exists in both 645 and K mount A-series. The
only dimension being smaller for the 645 is length. I haven't done the
maths, but it would not surprise me if that difference comes from the
different register distances.

Weight leaps up a whopping 68% from K to 645. The front element
diameter is also larger.

The K-mount:
Lenght: 386 mm
diameter: 133 mm
Weight: 3280 g

The 645:
Length: 353 mm
Diameter: 156 mm
Weight: 4800 g

Whatever logic there is to DA lenses having to be the same size as DFA
certainly isn't supported by this line of argument.

Thinking about it, the DA/DFA may be a different ballgame since they
apply to the same bayonet and register distance, but I don't see why
it should be. I'd love to be enlightened though.

Links:
Boz' K-mount page:
http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/lenses/primes/extreme-tele/A600f5.6.html

or http://tinyurl.com/h9gju