It is still a while until 2007 here, but I thought this would be good
advice for the new year, or any year (especially for those who never
heard the Les Crane record back when):

> DESIDERATA
> By Max Ehrmann 1927
>
> Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and
> remember what peace there may be in silence.
> As far as possible without surrender
> be on good terms with all persons.
 >
> Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
> and listen to others,
> even the dull and ignorant;
> they too have their story.
>
> Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
> for they are vexations to the spirit.
> If you compare yourself with others,
> you may become vain and bitter;
> for always there will be greater
> and lesser persons than yourself.
>
> Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
> Keep interested in your own career,
> however humble; it is a real possession
> in the changing fortunes of time.
>
> Exercise caution in your business affairs;
> for the world is full of trickery.
> But let this not blind you
> to what virtue there is;
> many persons strive for high ideals;
> and everywhere life is full of heroism.
>
> Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection.
> Neither be cynical about love;
> for in the face of all aridity and
> disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.
>
> Take kindly the counsel of the years,
> gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
> Nurture strength of spirit to shield
> you in sudden misfortune.
>
> But do not distress yourself with imaginings.
> Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
> Beyond a wholesome discipline,
> be gentle with yourself.
>
> You are a child of the universe,
> no less than the trees and the stars;
> you have a right to be here.
> And whether or not it is clear
>  to you, no doubt the
> universe is unfolding as it should.
>
> Therefore, be at peace with God,
> whatever you conceive Him to be, and
> whatever your labours and aspirations,
> in the noisy confusion of life
> keep peace with your soul.
>
> With all its sham,
> drudgery and broken dreams,
> it is still a beautiful world.
> Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

If anyone has a better copy of this, I would like to have it. This one I
found on the web, but it seemed to be a automatic Voice to Text file. I
tried to break it back up into verses, but I am sure I did not do well
at it. Interestingly, back when the were playing the Les Crane recording
on the radio, some were claiming that this dated from the 1600's.