----- Original Message -----
From: "J and K Messervy" Subject: K10D with AF540FGZ

>I received my flash the other day and have been playing with it a bit
> indoors and out.
>
> First impressions are good, however the exposure results in P-TTL are a
> little disappointing.  I'm finding that for a shot indoors of my kids or
> similar at quite close range, bouncing off the white ceiling, I get spot
> on
> results...but only when I've set the flash exposure compensation to +1.
>
> I would have thought that this flash (considering how damn expensive it
> is)
> should provide proper exposure with everything set to default.  I know
> bouncing loses some light, but it's not a power problem as I can manually
> set the flash to light properly.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

I was finding the same thing when I did bounce flash with the camera in
programmed exposure mode. A switch to manual exposure was the cure.
I don't mind, as that is how I usually use a flash, as I have a fairly low
tech approach caused by many years of using simple auto flash units such as
the Metz 60CT-2.
It is a little odd though, that flash accuracy seems to have regressed as
the other technologies have improved.
BTW, it doesn't matter how expensive the flash is, it's still the camera
that is controlling the exposure in any TTL method.

William Robb