Have you tried making sure that you're using the catch
panel when bouncing off the ceiling? I've found that
it works perfectly this way. It sends just enough
diffused light directly toward the subject (and adds a
nice catch light in the eyes).

I use it this way and have no need for compensation in
P-TTL in AV mode with the K10D at ISO 200 and 400. My
flash photos this way are as near perfect as I could
want.

-Brendan