On Jan 13, 2007, at 5:58 PM, John Celio wrote:

>>> The MTF is a measure of the resolving power (or sharpness) of the
>>> lens,
>>> and is dependent on aperture.
>>
>> Not really.  MTF stands for Modulation Transfer Function.  This is an
>> expression of how accurately a lens transmits modulation, which is
>> not resolving power at all.
>
> Okay, I think I may have understood about 15-25% of that.  My
> question, to
> make it as simple as possible:
>
> Will setting P to MTF mode produce sharper images, on average, than
> normal
> Program mode?

The MTF line will bias the program mode to run along the Pentax
defined "best" apertures, as long as shutter speed is high enough to
prevent motion blur, so theoretically you'll get greater sharpness.
But that also assumes that the 'best' aperture provides adequate DoF
for the subject you are photographing.

There are rules, then rules of thumb, then you get to figure out what
really works well.

Godfrey