If you are shooting digital, many have said to underexpose to save the
highlights.  You are correct to expose accurately for both ends of the
spectrum.  The issue with digital, I think, is that the shadow areas
tend to show noise more - so it is really best to expose for the
highlights without blowing them out and then darken later, if
necessary.

--
Bruce