Here's a much simpler way to understand it.

To pull a film is to overexpose it.  When a film is overexposed, one
must decrease its development time, or underdevelop it, relative to
the standard development time.

Overexpose + Underdevelop = Pull

To push a film is to underexpose it.  When a film is underexposed, one
must increase its development time, or overdevelop it, relative to the
standard development time.

Underexpose + Overdevelop = Push

This is a very simple description, but it may help you grasp the
concept.  It may also help you understand Bill's explanation a bit
better.

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]