On 4/14/07, Jens Bladt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> There is no easy way around this  - the Leica M8  IS  a lovely camera.?
> But it's not for the same work as a Pentax DSLR. Can you imagine shooting
> soccer game (with a 170-500mm zoom) with a M8?

Sure. You can say a similar thing about doing street photography with
a DSLR with a mirror slap and a diaphragm that closes every time you
take a picture, completely giving you away. Some people make that
work. I'm sure a talented photographer would make great soccer
pictures with a Leica and a short fixed lens.

[...]
> its' a life style, a status
> symbol. Take the M8 for a ride in your Porche, and bring it to the theatre,
> the opera, the exhibition etc. -  whereever you go to enjoy life. People buy
> an M8 for the same resons you buy a Porche, Ferrari or BMW.

Dude that's presumptuous. I drive a late 90's Honda, worth about half
what that M8 would cost. I don't care to get a new car. I do care to
have a camera that works the way I work in the street. IOW, the
features I need from a car I can get from a cheap Honda. The ones I'd
like in a camera it seems I can only get from Leica, or from the Epson
RD-1, except for its drawbacks.

> Take your Pentax to the ballgame, the beach, the hike, anywhere you go -  to
> take pictures. The SLR/DSLR is the choise of photographers. People buy a
> DSLR to take pictures.

Bob already answered this quite eloquently...

Juan Buhler - http://www.jbuhler.com
photoblog: http://photoblog.jbuhler.com
a book: http://www.jbuhler.com/book.html

[EMAIL PROTECTED]