Bob Rapp writes:

> I was surfing and looking at the Zeiss lenses for the Contax. Did you know
> that both Pentax and Zeiss share the same optical formula?? I know which one
> was first!!

 I seem to recall that the two lenses are slightly different.  Pentax used an
aspherical
element (see the optical diagram on Boz's site) and I am pretty sure that the Zeiss
does
not (they weren't easy to produce back then).  Zeiss added a couple of extra elements
while retaining the same basic design; I assume this was to compensate for removing
the aspheric element.

 I am not sure if Pentax designed the lens then licensed it to Contax, or if they
collaborated from the start.  Either way its rather a nice lens despite its size and
weight,
provided you stop it down a little.  I'll take the chance whinge again about the
selection of
built-in gel filters which leaves a bit to be desired for those who don't shoot B&W...

Cheers,

- Dave

David A. Mann, B.E. (Elec)
http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/

"Why is it that if an adult behaves like a child they lock him up,
 while children are allowed to run free on the streets?" -- Garfield