I second Godfrey's advice.

I just got two WD Mybook 500GB drives. USB 2 + Firewire, ~$170 at Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136030

They are set up as one 500GB RAID volume, and have all my istD, K10D,
film scans, and images from various p&s cameras.

I do have some extra redundancy though: one 250 and one 180 drives
that used to have the same data are still there. Plus my 'keepers' are
in my ipod, which mostly lives at work. Plus in my spare time I'm
slowly making two sets of DVDs, and will leave one at work and the
other in my apartment in Argentina, just in case. Call me paranoid :)

Juan Buhler - http://www.jbuhler.com
photoblog: http://photoblog.jbuhler.com
a book: http://www.jbuhler.com/book.html