The original and Alternative #3 (b&w) are the best. You see, Bruce, to
my eye what became of the ocean on the original image you presented did
not come across like water. I thought it was a bit more soil, just
without any vegetation on it.

Actually, I think that the original shot with just a bit of an S-curve
would be the best option.

Boris