I downloaded the image - it is still in RGB.  Either convert to LAB and
adjust the curve in the L (luminosity) channel only, then re-convert to RGB,
or (what will be as good as the R, G & B channels are presently identical or
almost so) convert to Greyscale first and then adjust your curve.  I did
that and can post the adjusted image and curve or email them.

Maris