Tripod highly, highly recommended, though you can do without.  A beanbag on
a rock, fence-post or car door can suffice.  A level is recommended - but
you can pick up a small one at your local hardware store at < $5.00 I'm
sure.  Number of pictures depends on your lens, of course,  Overlap 1/5-1/4
of the image.

Most important - find your exposure settings, then set them MANUALLY - as
you pan, auto-exposure may vary and you don't want that.  You want identical
exposure frame-to-frame.  Hustle if the light is quickly changing (say dawn
or dusk).

Maris