Hi Tom,

Let me start saying, that without getting into the story that came
with the image (which lifts the image into a different arena) and
speaking strictly about the photographic properties of the image, even
though I understand the appeal of the photograph and I like (I repeat,
I like) the way it's framed and the elements in the photograph, and
also I may add that to my eye is an example, albeit not a totally
clear one, of a photograph that tells a story (even without Godfrey's
explanation I wonder who this person is, if the dog belongs to her,
why is she holding her jacket in that way, etc) In my opinion it could
be better with a less tight framing, not because I want to see "the
dog's legs" (the way the dog is framed I actually like) but to include
maybe some person passing by, looking at her that might actually
connect the person with the viewer, etc.

Now, I think you are being unfare saying that this is an easy-to-take
image, to me that means that you never really tried this genre, which
is probably the total opposite to the  kind of photography that I see
from you, and that I greatly enjoy.

Here, you have a split second to decide how to frame a subject, mostly
instinctively, that's problably why if you see the contact sheets of
some of the masters of street photography you will see that they suck,
most of it is done in the editing process, were the eye of the
photographer-curator selects what deserves to be published.

I for one am happy to see this new work of Godfrey, I enjoy his
flawless photographs, but is certainly healthy to see him posting also
this other work, I hope he keeps posting more of this.

As a viewer I do enjoy looking at this genre, I like this quote that I
read somewhere: "Street photography is photography for photographers"
because only knowing how difficult is to get results you learn to
enjoy it. That's the best way I can put it.

And finally, I'm not a street photographer, now I'm just merely in a
phase were I'm trying to take some photographs in the street, I enjoy
the process, the thrill and the adrenaline, and from time to time I
nail some photos that I enjoy and even share. The rate of pictures
taken versus keepers went down, but I find the process more enjoyable,
and this has also given me the chance to admire some work that belongs
to people that excels in that type of photography.

I also welcome the photographs of posters that seem to loosen up a
little bit more often, from the top of my head I can name Boris, Jack,
Marnie, Paul and the king of them all Frank. Makes the PDML more
enjoyable for me.

Cheers,

Fernando

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ferand/