Kenneth Waller wrote:
>> Gotta get a big lens.
>
> Preferably with someone to lug it & the tripod around !

And a remaining credit balance to buy the accessories.  Seriously, my
500mm lens cost...  a lot.  Then I needed a gimbal-style head to support
it (Since I had a good tripod (bogen 3021) and ball head (big-ass
Studioball) I decided on the "poor-man's gimbal: the Wimberley Sidekick
~$250.  Any 600/4 like Ken's really requires a true gimbal head like his
King Cobra or a Wimberley II ~$500. Dedicated Arca-Swiss lens plate
~$58.  To protect my lens a camo neoprene cover ~$90.  To travel with
the lens and take it in the aircraft cabin with me: a new bag.  I went
cheap and used a Walmart rolling bag for $30 and padded the lens with
clothing, but a good well padded camera bag of legal dimensions and big
enough to swallow a 600/4, camera body and other junk is ~$350.  The
list can get even bigger for the flash brackets, a new tripod if your's
is not up to spec, etc. etc.

On my trip to South Texas last weekend, my suitcase weighed 44 pounds
(tripod, head, charges, batteries, flash bracket, more lenses, laptop
accessories, oh and some clothes) and my carry-on weighed 30 pounds
(500/4, two camera bodies with grips and batteries, 300/4, laptop and a
book).

A friend just bought the Canon 600/4 L IS for $7000+ He had a tripod but
needed everything else and spent ~$1500 on accessories...

Birds ain't a cheap subject!

--

Christian
http://photography.skofteland.net