Bill ....

On the basis of what you've described, I'd say there may be a lot more
to the sharpness issue than meets the eye.  May I suggest that you
actually test the ~lens~ by removing the motor drive, mounting the
camera on a substantial and well secured tripod, and by using a
fine-grained slide film.  Also, test the lens at various ~known~
apertures and shutter speeds.  Further, since you're concerned about not
being able to focus with those old, tired eyes of yours <g>, use a
focusing aid, such aa a refconverter set on 2X magnification, or the
magnifier M.  Also, the use of a cable release or the self timer will
minimize any vibration or shake that may contribute to a lack of
sharpness.

FWIW, some time ago while photographing a piece of sculpture, with the
LX on a tripod, etc., I used a refconverter to focus.  It was set to
normal magnification in order to insure proper framing.  I was very
careful to focus precisely.  When I flipped to 2X magnification I could
see that the focusing could be improved still further.  It should be
noted that I was quite close to the subject, and DOF was minimal (I was
using a fast lens - 1.8 or so).  If you were close to the wood, you
might be running into a problem with DOF, too.

If you were shooting at F16.0, you may have also lost a little sharpness
due to diffraction.  While DOF increases at smaller apertures, sharpness
and detail may sometimes suffer.

So, unless you really ~want~ an AF lens, take some time to carefully
explore the potential of the lens you have.  That said, the 35mm K
lenses are sometimes much preferred to the M and A series lenses by many
people.

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]