We rescue several a day that get "trapped" in our back snow porch.  There's
enough big openings to fly a baby pterodactyl through, but the hummingbirds
seem to generally be looking straight ahead, and then fly in a
left-to-right/right-to-left motion in front of the glass, in apparent panic,
followed by exhaustion.

We can reach them easily so it's a matter of just bringing both hands slowly
togethether until the hummingbird is cupped inside them, and then releasing
them.  They feel like velvet.

They seem to have become accustomed to being handled a bit (unsure if it's
the same ones we're catching over and over).  They used to fly out of sight
when released, whereas now they just fly 10 feet away to the nearest tree
and then back to the feeder.

Tom C.