The following is from Peter:

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 03:25:33 +0000
From: "Peter Spiro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: K2 shutter vibration question

Anybody who has a K2 can test for this quite easily.    Lock up the mirror,
set the shutter speed to B, and  release the shutter with a cable release,
holding it open.   Watch for ripples in the water.   If the camera is good,
the ripples should be minimal.  Then let the shutter close, and see if most
of the ripple action is concentrated at that end of the cycle.  I hope
somebody tries this, and reports back to the group, to clarify this issue.
I will be happy to revise my opinion of what is in many ways a fine camera.

(I just did this test with my MX, at 1 second exposure, with the mirror
locked up.  Vibrations when the shutter opened were almost non-existent.
BTW, on my MX the quasi-MLU does not seem to work at B.)

Hi Peter et. al.:

Okay, Peter, I tried the water test with the following cameras:

SPII
K1000
MeSuper
LX
K2

I did this with much trepidation as I had a bad experience Wednesday with
water and camera combination (I dropped my Super Program in creek!  Yikes,
what a feeling!)

I put each camera on a wooden cutting board and put a wash rag under the
lens to cushion it a bit.  I balanced a coffee mug 2/3 full of water and
fired the shutter in "B" and watched for ripples. I re-ran all the cameras
several times, checking again and again and finally checking the cameras in
order of ranking.

In general, the initial slap of the shutter was much less than the return.
I would say roughly 50% less.  Suprising to me was that the mirror lock up
did make more difference than it did.

The following would be my SUBJECTIVE ranking of initial vibrations--

Top 2 were close but

1.  k1000 (very short waves, low amplitude)
2.  LX - mirror up (similar to k1000, longer waves)

Another close grouping

3.  SPII (slightly longer waves than No. 2)
4.  LX - mirror down (very similar to the SPII, slight more amplitude)

Much worse than above

5.  K2 - mirror up (long wave, a bit more amplitude than No. 4)
6.  K2 - mirror down (a bit longer wave and amplitude than No. 5)
7.  MeSuper - (longest wave, amplitude)

The return curtain vibrations rankings were similar, maybe less difference
between the LX, SPII grouping and the K2 MeSuper grouping.  And I love that
MeSuper!  Ah well.

As far as the K2 is concerned, I am sad to report that the initial slap,
while less then the return curtain vibration, was still substantial, in my
less than expert opinion.

I hope someone else tries this as I do not want to be the final word on this
subject.

dave