Doug,
I'd add that you're taking pictures of an event so the end-product should
represent either the whole event or all of some aspect of the event.

It's quite important to tailor the product to the consumer.  Like you said,
the local SCCA, who provided the corner workers, is looking for pictures of
their people and maybe some overall event representation shots. The winning
cars (I didn't attend and haven't watched it on Tivo yet so no spoilers,
eh?), and maybe a spectacular wreck like you captured last year.
But what's the point of the "other" gallery you're working on?  Is it to
showcase you're work to prospective employers?  For you and your other nut?
(that's a not very inside joke, y'all) or to bring home to mom?

You could end-up making several galleries to suit all your needs.

As for size... well that depends on how many great shots you got.  You could
make a gallery that included shots of every car but that would be too big to
wade through.
I've made some that seemed too small for the occasion (06 GFM but I didn't
get many good shots) and one that was arguably too many shots (07 GFM).
Ultimately it's all about how you like it and how your consumer likes it.
Clear as mud, right?

Cory