I will state the obvious, he did not need to do that, he knew all those people
and places.

We tend to think our work is so valuable today. Except for pros who hoped to
make more money from the images over the years, photos used to be purely
personal things. Usually the best you can hope for is that they will be in
albums with little notes added, like "Paul and Jane 1942", I do not know that I
have ever seen any more than that. Even pros usually were way behind on their
filing an captioning.

Here in the Appalachian Mountains there are a few people who go around with
audio recorders interviewing old people trying to document a long gone
lifestyle. I would think that would be the way to do old photos, spend the time
with the photographer recording their stories about the photos. Too late to do
that with your uncle...

Graywolf
Website: http://www.graywolfphoto.com
Blog:    http://www.graywolfphoto.com/journal/