Go to the Dollar Tree and by two $1 umbrellas, go to wal-mart and buy a $2 can
of white or silver paint. Mix the two. Merry Christmas

Yes, you can make all kinds of light modifiers out of foam-core.

To be honest however, hard direct light is not all that bad if you watch your
shadows.

Have fun,

Graywolf
Website: http://www.graywolfphoto.com