[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< So a lot of this talk about "needing" 6 megapixels (I think somebody
claimed
 to need 30 mp!!!) to "equal" the information in a 35mm slide is more or less
 a classic apples and oranges situation. Because digital prints don't behave
 like photographic negatives when you try to enlarge them. The "grain" of a
 digital print is set by the capability of the printer; and once it is set,
 the "grain" (ink dot) pattern will always be of the same fineness or
 coarseness, regardless of whether the print is 2 inches across or 20 inches
 across. That's counterintuitive to traditional photographers. The fact that
 the digital print will have MORE detail until it reaches the size at which
 information is not longer being "thrown away" is also counterintuitive to
 traditional photographers.  >>

Mike,

While I agree it is a bit of apples to oranges comparison, I think the real
issue here is that your eye can 'out see' your printer, at least the cheaper
versions.  What you are arguing is that you don't need 30 megapixels in your
digital image because your printer cant print that level of detail, it must
throw most of it away.  I agree, but hope for better printers.  (The HP color
laser printer at work does better resolution than anything I have at home.)

Regards,  Bob S.