I've just gotten back on the list after a break of a few months (my
wife and I had our first child, a baby girl named Alice; there is of
course a voluminous selection of photos of her at
http://pugnax.smugmug.com/gallery/3328936_sHtfP/1/261082219_pijqN)
, and I hope everyone's doing well.

I agree on the brands: I have a Sandisk 4 GB along with the reader
that came with the card, and I've been very happy with both. Dell
screwed me over on an order so they practically gave it to me, so I
don't remember the price.  Also have a cheaper 2GB card which I've
been using for a HD video camera.

One thing I've been using around the house is an Eye-Fi 2GB wireless
card.  I don't think it's that useful unless you're close to your
computer or another computer where you've already set up an account,
but for taking shots at home, the card has saved me a lot of time in
organizing, as it automatically creates a folder of the photos ou take
wherever you prefer with the day's date and of course uploads the
photos wirelessly; I just trash the photos I don't want to keep, and
edit the ones I do.  With a reader the Eye-Fi is around $99.

Micah