Interesting thread!
A few things I like to contribute:

    * No machine can fully compete with the AWB in our brains. A person
      sitting under a green sunshade might get a greenish skin colour,
      our brain knows about this effect and corrects for it. The
      greenish skin colour might remain un noticed by us. But looking to
      the picture later we see a greenish face! The question is : what
      do we want in our photographes? Reallity (in the above example
      greenish skin colour) or natural looking colours? I always go for
      the last one meaning I have to correct in post processing.
    * I remember the principle way of working of the lamps discussed:
      discharges in noble gas emit UV, the UV hits special phosphor on
      the glass, the phosphor emits visible light, to get white light a
      mix of different phosphor is used, those different phosphors emit
      different colours. In an old fashioned (non-electronic ballast)
      the phosphor is excited at the mains frequency (50 or 60 times per
      second) It is almost certain that the different phosphors for the
      different colours do not decade their intensenty in the same
      timing. So over a period of 1/50 second the colour might be white,
      but if I take a picture with a faster shutter time, the colour
      will depend on the excact portion of the 1/50 second that I hit.

Greetz, Jos