On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Brian Walters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You need to get less sleep more often!

I don't have any problems doing that :-)

>  That's pretty impressive - both the shot(s) and the panorama.
>
>  Not that I'm likely to attempt something similar in the near future but
>  what sort of workflow is needed to produce this?

OK...

Shooting:

I shoot RAW, fully manual focus & exposure, but AWB.

If I have my tripod I use it. I level it with a bulls eye level I
carry in my bag & then I level the camera with a hot shoe mounted 2
axis spirit level. If I have no tripod I just try my best to keep
things level.

For exposure I placed the sun on my RH shoulder, metered the scene,
took a shot & checked the histo. I then swung the camera through 360
degrees & noted the exposure variance & dialled in suitable exposure
compensation to get the best average exposure. I then bracketed +- 0.7
for each frame just to cover myself :-)

Processing:

All shots were processed in ACR, & saved as 16 bit, Pro PhotoRGB .tif.

The shots were imported into PTGui (or Hugin, it depends on my mood),
I let the software have the first crack & generating the control
points & then I go in and add extra as needed. The file in this case
was output as a .jpg.

The .jpg was then edited in PS to remove distracting & unwanted
elements (like my shadow :-) & add in sky and grass to fill in the
blanks.

The final image was run through pano2qtvr to create the QTVR.

It sounds like a lot of work but it's not that hard. The computer
crunching time to stitch & blend the images & the touching up in PS is
the most time consuming part.

BTW this is what the flattened image looks like:

Small (~120kb)

<http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2368/2409470701_1e06646f50_b.jpg>

Large (~715kb):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2368/2409470701_3a563465c8_o.jpg

Give it a go, it's kinda fun & useful when your somewhere the scen
calls for a really wide view.

Cheers,

Dave