Paul,

Thanks for the ideas.  I shot at F/8 using single point autofocus to confirm
focus at the center of the image.  According to the depth of field
calculator over at http://www.dofmaster.com, a circle of confusion of 0.007
mm (around the pixel pitch for the K10D, the total depth of field is around
16", so I think I've taken ultimate focus precision out of the equation
here.

Note also that I did test with two prime lenses (50 F1.7 and 43 F1.9) and
saw no right-to-left issues using the exact same test methodology....

--Mark