Dear Group,
I have lot of film material (negatives and slides) that I want to
convert to digital.
I have a good Minolta film scanner, at that time I paid more for it than
a K20D costs :-). It delivers good quality but it takes far to much time
to be used on larger quantities of pictures...........
So I want to work out a faster method using my K10D.
July PUG gave a last push, because that black and white negative had to
be digitized.
I worked out the following, remarks, questions and suggestions are most
welcome!
_
The hardware_
Aim is to get a 1:1 image of the slide (36x24) on the sensor of my K10D
(approx 24x18)
I would like to use my SMC-M 100/4 macro or my SMC-M 50/1.7 because they
are mechanically compatible with my Pentax slide copier.
autobellows M with slide copier does not work: lens cannot come close
enough to the body.
I made a metal bracket to connect the slide copier directly to the body.
  1:1 can be reached with SMC-M 50/1.7 with 20+12mm macro rings from PANAGOR
Aperture of lens set to 11 as compromise for sharpnees / depth of field
to allow some unflatness of the film and to allow for some misalignment
of slide copier, lens and body.
ISO 100 for best noise performance.
Using flash light from behind the slide copier, Adjusting flash power
and / or flash distance to get the histogram more or less in the middle.
Contrast of negative film is low, so exposure is not really critical
This set op allows quick reproduction

Now the Software part.
The image contrast on negative film is low and has to be increased a lot
in the processing.
Unfortunately the K10D does not have a setting for negative film
copying. That would be nice if the contrast range could be adjusted to
cover the full range of the AD converter, than 8 bits could be enough.
We donot have that, so we must use RAW to get more bits. In the
processing the higher number of bits has to be maintained till the
contrast expansion is done.

For the image processing I use Photoshop Elements 6.0 with the free
downloadable plug-in "SmartCurve" this plug-in is very  powerfull and
increases the value of PSE a lot for me.

After importing the file in PSE, do not forget to tick the 16bit square
(remember 8 bit is not enough for negative film)
rotate the picture 1 or 2 degrees if needed
crop the picture
convert to black and white by selecting  "gray tones"
Select filter "smartcurve" this curve allows to invert the negative to
positive (vertical flip of the curve), to choose the white level and the
black level (expand contrast  to best possible value) and fine tune
gamma (mid gray) if needed
Now convert the immage to 720pixels voor longest side (PUG requirement)
Adjust sharpness for best compromise at normal viewing distance (take
care more sharpness can result in more visibility of film grain!)
Save as Jpeg while selecting maximum quality level with file size below
256kb (PUG requirement) and file name with max 8 characters (PUG
requirement)

This worked for me. Suggestions for quality or speed improvements are
most welcome
:-)
Jos