-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Mike Johnston
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 3:13 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: New Pentax digital SLR

And, now, Pal, here we are totally DISagreeing.

Pal wrote:

> Although, I have some sympathy with those who want faster Pentax equipment
> introductions, I fail to see the sense in wanting an utterly out of date
> digital slr. Firstly, its generally assumed industrywise that the small
> size chips are a dead end. Full frame chip is the way of the future.

The only effort to standardize chip size that I'm aware of is being led by
Kodak, who are urging adoption of a 4/3rds-inch chip size. Small chip sizes,
far from being a dead end, will are what will be used in consumer cameras.
The market for these will be vast--actually, already is--and hardly a dead
end.

> Secondly, the D30 (is it really successful?) will be laughed out of the
> market within a year or simply given away. It's like buying a 286 computer
> at an absurd price.

Yes, it has certainly been successful, and I just think your assessment of
it here is utterly wrong. We simply disagree, which is no problem, but I
disagree completely.

> Frankly, we are now in the very early days of digital cameras. I would
> personally stay away from the first generation digital slr's unless you
> need it in your work.

Pal, we are far, far past the first generation. These may be early days but
they are certainly not VERY early days.

> The market is extremely small

It is?!?!? The camera makers who are putting entire development budgets into
cameras that will have 2-3 year production lifespans would be interested to
hear this. In fact, the market is wide open, growing by leaps and bounds,
and very likely to dominate in the not very distant future.

> If you want a D30, by all means go ahead. Personally I would be grossly
> disappointed if Pentax release anything remotely like the D30.

I cannot disagree more. The D30 is all the camera that most digital
photographers are EVER likely to need. If Pentax could duplicate its quality
for 1/2 to 2/3rds the price and make use of K-mount lenses it would have a
sure winner on its hands in no time.

--Mike

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com