On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 2:40 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Nice pix, Dave. Enjoy your D700 ... it's a fine camera.
>
>> At the moment I'm mainly using LR 1.xx (I haven't made the upgrade to
>> LR 2 yet). But to use it I have to convert all my .nef files to .dng.
>> Apparently LR2 recognises the D700 .nef RAW files.
>>
>> PS CS3 I use when more intense editing is required.
>
> Move to LR2 and you'll need PS CS3 less and less ...
> Even on the road using my ancient PowerBook G4 (way underpowered for
> LR2, really) I found that doing the whole job in LR2, including small
> area corrections, etc, meant that I almost never even started up
> Photoshop.
>
>  :-)
>
> Godfrey

As good as LR is, if you shoot one of the new Nikons it's just about
impossible to beat Capture NX2 for quality. There's a lot of extra
goodies in the D700 (like Picture Controls and the automated CA
removal) that can only be taken advantage of in RAW when used with
NX2. And NX2 does selective editing much better than just about
anything else thanks to Nik Software's Control Point technology.

The downside is NX2 is a little slow due to how it renders edits (it
re-renders the RAW file rather than adjusting the previous render) and
it doesn't offer LR's file management capabilities.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca