Hello the list…

Fist of all, forgive me for this long post. But I wanted to shere these
thoughts with you. I just bought for my Club (an old-timer Car club) a new
compact digital camera. Not a reflex, no. Just a standard 4 megapixel
camera. A Casio QV4000.

To tell you the truth, I’m totally… surprised. Astonished. Converted !

First of all, I like and practice photography since the late 70’s. My first
SLR was a PRAKTIKA MTL3 with a 50mm and a 135mm. Then my first PENTAX was a
Me SUPER, bought new in 1981. I stayed with PENTAX since then (do not ask me
why, it’s just like this…) and I used several Program A and SUPER A (I still
have a SUPER A now), one Z-1 (that I still have), several Zoom 70 R and X (I
have a 70-X)… On the lens side, my jewel collection is made of a 17mm f/4,
an A 24mm f/2,8, two A 50mm f/1,4 and f/1,7, one A zoom 35-105 f/3,5 and one
A 70-210 f/4…

Like everyone of us I think, I started with black and white, easily
developed in a quickly transformed bathroom. Then I tasted slide photography
(with a number of bad photos far more important !). Now 90% of my pictures
are colour prints. Since 1996, I scan the best of my prints, to use them for
web or to duplicate 10x15cm prints on colour printer. The scanning operation
being quite long (with my HP 6300C scanner) I often ask my lab to give me my
photos on CD. The offered resolution of 1500 x 1000 pixel is (for my own
use) sufficient. Well, for some years now, I practice “digital” photography,
but with “classic” equipment.

And then came the day when I used an “all digital camera”… and then for me,
everything changed !

But what is so different from a 35mm SLR to an all digital camera ?

One big only answer : instantaneity ! By viewing the pictures just after
taking them, one feel about the same magic as with a Polaroid, but with even
faster response, and above that, without the feeling of wasting a print if
the shot is not good. What a pleasure to have the possibility to judge a
shot immediately… The focus is not good ? One erase the picture and do it
again. This part of the picture is too dark ? One re do several shots while
overexposing until the right exposure is found. The subject moved or did not
keep the pose ? One just has to ask a new second of attention and shoot
again… All the tricky photographical situations can be approached without
any fear; the photographer is reinsured and never comes back home without a
couple of good photos !

Now that I am CERTAIN that digital photography will totally overpass
chemical photography in a very short period of time, what an attitude to
adopt ? At the date of today, my choice is very basic : either I buy for my
personal use, one of these digital cameras, with a more or less futurist
look, not often cute (the Casio QV 4000 is ugly!) and I try to resell all my
old equipment, either I wait… But to wait for what ? To wait for a solution
allowing me to reuse all, or part of my existing equipment. To wait for the
successor of the e-film in 24x36mm size for instance, to be able to reuse my
SUPER A and my Z-1 and theur accessories… To wait for PENTAX to manufacture
24x36mm digital backs for my SUPER A and my Z-1… Or to wait for PENTAX to
make a true 24x36mm digital SLR to be able to reuse all my lenses… Today, to
wait corresponds better to my photographer’s aspirations.

I think I’m not alone in my case ! And in front of such a situation, what do
the camera manufacturers think ? Why a so genius idea like the e-film has
not given birth to a sellable product ? Have they received pressures from
camera manufacturers ? Why the big manufacturers offer expensive equipment
without any real interest for the amateurs ? Do they think they will push us
to throw away all our ancient equipment, and buy one of their non finished
digital mutants ? When will they offer us the digital equipment we are all
waiting for ?
A solution which should allow to "digitalise" all the existing park of SLR
(like the e-film) would give to its promoters a significant amount of
profits for years. An intermediate solution consisting of supplying 24x36mm
digital backs, would be very widely acceptable. While the solution
consisting of providing 24x36mm digital SLR cameras, where our existing
lenses could be used would be acceptable as well.

So what do they wait for ?