To: <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2008 10:59 PM
Subject: Photowalking with a Digital Native

I had the most amazing experience today with my nephew Akira:  we went on
our first formal photowalk together. He carried the K10D with the FA 50mm f
1.4 & I carried the 20D with the 50mm macro 2.8.  I explained the concept,
put it on program, explained autofocus, set it to RAW , and explained
photowalking to him:  "Shoot whatever tickles your fancy," I said, and off
we went (after, that is, I took an official nose-behind-the-camera photog
shot of him).

He'd already shot 45 pics in the 1st half block of our walk.  I quickly
switched to jpeg fearing he'd run out of memory card space much sooner than
I had expected.  He was amazing to watch:  he buzzed around like a bee
shooting whatever, indeed, tickled his fancy.  He shot confidently,
fearlessly, thoughtfully, and quickly.  I never interfered.  I never told
him what to shoot or gave any suggestions. He soon wanted to try dials and buttons, and I showed him how. He tried for motion blur, panning, he even, without any prompting from me, decided to try some shots while he spun round
and round, releasing the shutter.  His eagerness to experiment was
delightful to watch and made me realize I need to bring a lot more play to
my photography.

Anyway, I'd like to share 4 beauties he took.  These shots are all
off-camera, no rendering at all, not even any crop adjustments. When I saw the forth photo, I thought, "Oh, my gosh. My nephew is channeling Godfrey"
:-).  The 5th shot is his official Pentax Photog shot.

http://photo.net/photodb/slideshow?folder_id=871858

Comments/critique welcome and I'll pass them on to Akira.
Big thanks and cheers, Christine