I liked the original, but this is great.

Drew.

PN Stenquist wrote:
Here's a version with the halo cloned out.
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=8227424&size=lg

On Nov 14, 2008, at 8:28 PM, Doug Franklin wrote:

PN Stenquist wrote:
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=8226674&size=lg

Hmmm, I could clone the halo out. It's due to a shadow in the rear. Don't know what caused it in front. I thought it contributed to the sensation of motion, but perhaps it's distracting.

Well, different viewers see things differently, and I could easily be an "outlier" from the curve. :-) When initially viewing the photo, I interpreted it as something that'd been added in post, which I now know to be wrong.

I'm not sure either what could have caused that effect. If the rest wasn't well focused, I'd wonder if it came from a slight change in the zoom setting on the lens. I think the Pz-1 cameras could do that automatically with the Power Zoom lenses. On closer inspection, it looks like motion blur from slight changes in panning speed, but that's contradicted by the sharpness of the car's body and the lack of similar halos on the "interior" parts of the car's image.

I had a somewhat similar shot from the Petit le Mans this year. On mine there were two well focused images just maybe 20 or 30 pixels apart horizontally. I finally decided that what'd happened was I'd had a "hitch" in my panning where I either sped up or slowed down with relation to the car momentarily, but otherwise tracked it accurately. I'll see if I can find it and post an excerpt.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)