John, you are never going to be happy with digital photography.  I think
you need to come to grips with that.  There will never be an M42 dSLR
for one simple reason: it would not be profitable.  Camera companies
make the majority of their profits on lenses and accessories, and with
"millions" of M42 lenses available used and in good condition (as you
claim), any new lenses would be passed over for the much cheaper used
stuff.  A new M42 camera system would thus not generate enough new lens
& accessory sales to turn a profit, and the company making it would
fail.

Besides, for the last decade the market has been shifting to more
electronic control and less mechanical stuff, such as the parts needed
to perform the auto features you so desperately want.  One would be hard
pressed to convince current and future camera buyers that a camera based
on technolgy from 50 years ago is in any way superior to modern designs.

I'm sorry, but your opinions and desires are not shared by enough people
to turn your dream camera(s) into reality.

John Celio

--
http://www.neovenator.com
http://www.cafepress.com/neovenatorphoto